Tuesday, July 10, 2007

La Frontera

Today we bought two new tires for the trailer, because they were both dangerously bald. We are both really tired and crossing through customs was tedious. We decided to spend an extra day at Adolfo's mother's house in Ciudad Juárez. We have been taking a lot of pictures, but have been unable to post them for the time being. There should be a flood of new photos soon.

We tried to eat some traditional New Mexican food for lunch yesterday, but when we arrived in the tiny town where the restaurant was, it said closed on Sundays and Mondays. So we drove down the road to Texas and ate some flautas and gorditas. The gorditas had red chiles mixed in with the masa dough. They were really good. I felt like I had missed out on an opportunity to have some sopapillas, though.

Somehow the stress of moving has supplanted the stress of anticipating living in a foreign country. I have had several moments, usually when a friend or family member called, when I thought that I might not be able to just pick up the phone and call someone once we are in Guadalajara. I have not, however, been worried about my Spanish lately. I should be worried about my Spanish. Although Adolfo has been speaking Spanish to me a lot, I have been speaking to him in English, a lot.

We had lunch today with a few of the Aunts and an Uncle and they complimented me on my Spanish, but I'm still conjugating the verbs after I say them. (Cuando llegé, no cuando llego, cuando llegaré.... just to say, "When I arrive...")

Tomorrow is a free day in Juárez - México vs. Argentina in the Copa America. So, we have plans to sit in front of the TV for a few hours.

No comments: