Tuesday, August 28, 2007

Less like recipes, more like descriptions

Part 2 of 2
(Unless you are along the northern border (Sonora, Chihuahua, etc.), all tortillas are corn.)

Agua de Jamaica and Salsa de Tomate Verde (or more commonly called Salsa Verde) from “The Essential Cuisines of Mexico” by Diana Kennedy are in our regular rotation. My mother has this cookbook and it’s pretty fantastic. In fact, they sell her cookbooks in the bookstores here.

My father has been making the Carnitas. And, before we left the states, we made the Chilorio a couple times. I would really like to make the Chilorio again, but we don’t have a blender right now and it is essential for this recipe. Adolfo also made the Ceviche for a day at the beach; it was fantastic. All these come from the Kennedy book.

As soon as we got here, I made a pot of black beans (with a quartered onion and a sprig of epazote). I froze the beans in freezer boxes and we’ve been getting them out and ‘re-frying’ them as needed.

This past weekend, we had a heavy breakfast with ¾ of 1 link of chorizo sausage fried to a crumble. And, then I scrambled in 4 eggs. We ate this with some re-fried beans and warmed tortillas. Salsa Verde over everything and served along side some very excellent coffee. It was very tasty. (We had salad for lunch that day.)

We have quesadillas for dinner quite often.

Take two tortillas and place a little slice of cheese, perhaps a piece of ham or a thin spread of refried beans between them. Toast, don’t fry, on a hot, dry comal (skillet or griddle, preferably cast iron or something that’s not Teflon). When they are nice and toasty on one side, flip and toast on the other side. Remove from the heat and carefully open the quesadilla. Fill with thin slices of tomato, salsa, hot sauce, avocado slices, chopped cilantro or something else that strikes your fancy. Close the quesadilla and carefully eat while leaning over your plate, they can get quite messy.

I would advise that the quality of your quesadilla will vary according to the quality of your tortillas – so get the best ones you can find!

This is what I can remember making in the way of Mexican food. Of course, we have eaten some really excellent food out of the house, but I can’t really tell you how to make it.

Adolfo says that maybe this weekend we will go get some Tortas Ahogadas. (That’s the teaser, I’ll tell you all about it after we eat them!)

5 comments:

Emilie said...

Hi Della ! Well I finally creates a new account because I can not remember mine...
Anyway, this is funny because I was reading your post to a spanish friend, and I finished by " Americans always speak about food..." and he just replied to me : "Because you think French don't always talk about food" !!!! I guess he is right ;-)

deeb said...

Do the Spanish not spend all their time talking about food?

What about the jamón? And, the olive oil? These things are important!

Emilie said...

I guess we are all talking about food !!! Well, we make a "raclette" for him he never tasted it before !

Leah said...

It says in the wikipedia that Epazote can be grown in Missouri? I wonder how I would find it??? I am always irritated when I read a delicious sounding recipe and can't find one of the ingredients.

deeb said...

Well, last year my mother grew some. Outside my mother's house, I have no idea where you can get epazote. Maybe she knows something more about it.