Thursday, January 31, 2008

Experiments

This is what Adolfo calls it when I try out new foods on him. I have a four day weekend and am considering my options. One of the options in sushi. I haven't made sushi at home before and think now would be a good time. There is a Japanese grocery store here and I think they sell all the things I will need for homemade sushi. We'll see how it goes.

I'm also considering several bread recipes and will need to make more cookies.

I made Chocolate Crackles last weekend for the first time in a very, very long time, and they are all gone now. Granted, Adolfo has been having meetings in the house with two friends, so it's not that we wolfed down the whole batch. I may just make these cookies again.

I think we just cleaned out the last of the spaghetti sauce from the freezer, so I will need to make more soon.

Tomorrow, I am planning to go with a friend to find a grocery store that sells all imported items and is the only place I know that sells REAL maple syrup. Since the only maple syrup we have was a gift from a coworker (who bought it at the store we are going to tomorrow), I've never been there. We'll see what fun things we find.

I also want to go out to eat with some friends at a pizza place that we hear is owned by actual Italians, and see about 3 movies, and finally find the elusive pupusa restaurant we've been talking about for months.

There is a lot to accomplish.

3 comments:

Beth said...

Good luck with your agenda. It sounds like a great time. Wish I was going to be there for sushi!

aj burke said...

I have made sushi before and it all depends on the rice. Be careful with the ratio of rice wine vinegar & sugar to rice.
Do you have a fish guy? What 'insides' are you planning for the sushi? Have you found wasabi?

deeb said...

I don't have a good fish guy (just frozen), so I'm making veggie sushi with the addition of one experimental tin of Japanese mystery fish.

I bought the wasabi and pickled ginger this morning along with the sushi rice. I have cucumbers, avocados, carrots, spinach, salty plum paste (ume), pickled daikon and jicama.

I'm going to try it all out tomorrow.