Monday, March 10, 2008

Ok, I give up

For the last time, I tried once again to win the battle with fake meat. I lost. I have some sort of reaction to fake meat products that leads to terrible stomachaches and intestinal distress. I don’t get it.

I purposely tried the fake meat this time while Adolfo was out of town. Also, because it is hard to just buy one small serving, I knew there was a chance I would need to throw the rest of the package out, and for some reason that was something I didn’t want Adolfo to be around for.

My history with fake meat began in grad school. I was starving and wanted ready to eat food that wasn’t horrible for my health. I was surviving on quesadillas with the occasional bagged spinach leaf or spoonful of refried beans out of a can and frozen vegetarian lasagna. I needed another option.

I thought that a little Boca/Morningstar burger or nugget would provide some much needed variety. And it did. Hours after eating any of these products I would develop horrible stomachaches.

I don’t know why. I have no other food allergies, not even the family food allergy. And, apparently the rest of my family is able to eat fake meat products with abandon. I eat soy products regularly (tofu, soy sauce, the occasional edamame). I don’t generally have a sensitive stomach. I eat chile and drink tequila (both in moderation). I even eat street food and since moving here I’ve had hotdogs off the street, with chile! (Now, that really should have given me a stomachache.)

So for some reason, with all that experience, I decided to give it one more shot. They sell a lot of fake meat products here. I don’t believe they are exceptionally healthy (they seem to have a lot of fat), but I just want another option sometimes. Also, I convinced myself that maybe fake meat is different here. Well, I was wrong.

Pain and suffering ensued. And, I think I’m off the fake meat wagon for good.

What is it that fake meat has that is not found in anything else I’m eating?

2 comments:

barbara said...

Too bad for you. I really like the Morningstar Spicy Black Bean Burger. Perhaps some of the issue is psychological, and stems from the concept of thinking of it as 'fake meat'. If you try again, simply think of it as a healthy alternative to a meat based lifestyle!!

Karen said...

have you tried dried TVP? I haven't yet but I hear good things, and it might have fewer weird ingredients to the other fake meats. though I don't know.