Monday, September 10, 2007

Guayaba

I ate my first fresh guava today! Not only that, but I also picked my first guava today.

There is a guava tree between my house and the tortilla man. We have noticed this tree before, but the guavas are generally either broken on the ground or very high up in the tree. However, today when I left the house to go by my 3 kilos of tortillas, I noticed some very ominous and brooding clouds, so I grabbed Adolfo’s umbrella.

Adolfo’s umbrella is of the large variety with the crooked handle (as opposed to mine which are compactable so they fit discreetly in my backpack). Do you see where I’m going with this? So, in the end I get my tortillas and on the way back I peered up at the guava tree. I found one acceptable guava (the other one had bug holes visible from where I stood) and I hooked it with my umbrella handle!

I shared it with Adolfo when he got home and we each had half of a very excellent guava. Mmmm…. And, it didn’t even rain.

2 comments:

aj burke said...

So, instead of 'paraguas' it should be called a 'paraguayabas'?? ;-)

Didn't you JUST BUY 3 kilos of tortillas like two weeks ago?

deeb said...

Yes, we are eating tortillas like they are going out of style. I think we have about a kilo a week habit right now. mmmm... tortillas....